Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bye Bye Barry (and Cristobal); Hello (Again) A-Rod; RIP Norman

Thursday November 15, 7:45 PM

Poor Cristobal Huet. Quickly becoming the Rodney Dangerfield of the Montreal Canadiens. If NHL GM's outside of Montreal feel as strongly about the guy as some hardcore Hab fans do, then those very fans ought to rejoice. Because they'll get to see their man play a lot of hockey over the next couple of years. But they'll have to subscribe to the NHL Center Ice package to do so because Cristobal won't be here. There are many out there who believe Huet will return to Montreal with a "home town discount" but I find that far-fetched. He'll be 33 next season. He's currently making $2.75 million. He's going to return here to play 20 games-and the Habs are going to pay him about two million a year for that? I think not.

Cristobal Huet is a very good goaltender who should be creating interest among several GM's who are in search of a talented, experienced goaltender (Ray Shero?). A good team guy. And a big Bob Dylan fan. But he's on his way out as a Hab. To be remembered as the guy who forced Jose Theodore out of town (and who kept the crease warm for Carey Price).

Couldn't the Feds in the U.S. Justice Department have indicted Barry Bonds last summer? If Bonds is going to jail for lying to a grand jury then how about Bud Selig follow him into the same hole for lying to congress during the anti-trust exemption hearings which followed his announcment that MLB was going to contract the Expos and Twins. And oh, how he lied again during hearings into steroid use.

Picture it. Selig and Bonds in jail garb. Working together on a chain gang. Like Tony Curtis and Sydney Poitier in "The Defiant Ones". But those guys got paid to play a part. Selig and Bonds are paying the price. They deserve each other.

I was in New York when my favorite writer died. Norman Mailer, who lived in Brooklyn, spoke to me at a time when I was still searching for a literary hero. I tried reading many of the classics, mostly because the young woman I was in love with seemed so deep and she read 'em all-and I mean all of them, devouring one after the other (Kafka, Dostoyevsky, Thomas Mann, Camus, Jane Austen, Melville, Tolstoy, Chekov, Joseph Conrad...) until I started to go through her collection. I found it to be a chore. Too dark, too complicated for me. At the time, anyway.

I was always a political junkie, even as a kid. So I remember picking up Fear And Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 by a guy named Hunter S. Thompson. And howled for days. Which then led me directly to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Hell's Angels. And I was hooked. It was through Thompson that I discovered Mailer.

I read The Naked And The Dead in one night. I couldn't believe it was written by a 25 year old. I then managed to find, mostly through the help at Cheap Thrills, everything Mailer had written.
If he wasn't America's finest novelist (too many clunkers) in my mind he was it's finest reporter.
If anybody wants to know what the 1960's were about read The Armies of The Night. He also chronicled the space program (Of a Fire on The Moon), politics, pop culture and sports. His masterpiece, The Executioner's Song, was essentially a reporting job on murderer Gary Gilmore's right to have himself executed. The book won the Pulitzer prize for literature.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/books/11mailer.html?ex=1210309200&en=52a0dcec1e5801af&ei=5087&excamp=GGGNnormanmailer&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=GN-S-E-GG-NA-S-norman_mailer

And here's a terrific piece by Mark Kriegel on Mailer's love for boxing:

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7441264

Mailer was a man who inspired me greatly. Somebody I wish I had the opportunity to interview. Or at least thank.

This week marked the 25th anniversary of the Ray Mancini-Duk Koo Kim championship fight in Las Vegas which resulted in the death of Kim. Long time boxing writer Ron Borges puts it in perspective:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3107079

A-Rod back to the Yankees for even more money than what Tom Hicks paid him in Texas? Hank and Hal Steinbrenner have made it obvious in a hurry. Like father like son(s).